Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I absolutely LOVED Kellogg Elementary. I think this is how all schools should be. I realize that not all schools have the resources and funds for all of the advancements but there are adjustments that can be made to any school. Any school can take the teaching methods used at Kellogg and apply them to teaching their students.

From the moment you walk in the school, it is evident that this place is different. There is so much to see and read and learn. This school has very few empty spaces on the walls. Every inch of space is completely covered in murals, posters, and student work. These children are completely immersed in the information they are learning. The visual stimulation is incredible. There are pictures of animals, flags of other countries, phrases in other languages, and other things causing the children to think and learn in every possible opportunity.

I love that the students are encouraged to figure things out on their own. I think this is how true learning takes place, and this will help the students retain more information. They will feel such a sense of accomplishment to know that they created this or they found this answer. This will help prepare them for life, where problem solving and teamwork is vital.

15 comments:

JacquelineDeShea said...

That sounds like an awesome school to go to!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

Lindsey Dawn said...

I was sick that week...your blog really made me wish I woulc have been there!

Elizabeth said...

I feel the same way! Kellogg was amazing. The kids there are truly blessed to be able to learn this way. I had never really thought about it before, but your right and I agree, that true learning does take place by this method of exloring things on their own. The atmosphere of Kellogg was nothing like i've ever seen before, with all the visuals.

FutureTeacher2011 said...

sounds like you had a great time, wish i would have got to go

cbailey said...

I agree, but like I have said in my blog and to many other people's blogs.. I only HOPE that they get the middle school and the high school that these students will be attending up and running just as the elementary school is VERY SOON. The students must be followed as soon as possible.

Aaron Wellman said...

I'm incredibly jealous of the kids that go to the Model School. It's in my home county, only 30 minutes away, and my school has nothing at all like that.

merritt45 said...

it was an awesome school. i just feel bad for the other half of the school.

jewelia16 said...

I love that you put up a picture of Harold!!

.:Kyra:. said...

I agree I think other school should definalty follow in Kelloggs footsteps. I cant wait to teach in a school like that!

lauraashley88 said...

My high school had murals but last year the principal had them all painted over.

Ryan McClintic said...

Yes i agree, the school was awesome and i like how they dont just spoon feed everything to the student. like you said they make them figure things out on their own and start thinking "outside the box" at an early age.

Anonymous said...

Kellogg was a really cool place to go i would like to visit it again

JohnFahn said...

I really wish I could've went, these kids are lucky.

Valkurion said...

It was definitely an amazing school. Really needs to spread to others a bit more rapidly then it is. Though I did think there was a little too much on some of the walls, they seemed a little crowded. But at least it gave plenty of places for someone to look for things to learn in spare time.